Kat Clay is a writer and photographer from Melbourne, Australia. In 2017, she was longlisted for the CWA Debut Dagger award for her unpublished novel, Victorianoir. Her novella, Double Exposure, was released in 2015 with Crime Factory and was longlisted for the Davitt Award for Australian women’s crime fiction.
She has been nominated for the Ditmar Award for non-fiction and criticism, shortlisted in the SQ Mag Short Story Contest for her horror tale Reef, and received an honorable mention in the Australian Horror Writers Association Shadows Awards for non-fiction criticism.
Her fiction traverses noir, horror, fantasy and the weird, exploring topics such as sinister cities, the representation of women in fiction and the macabre. In 2015 she was awarded a Melbourne UNESCO City of Literature Travel Grant to attend the World Fantasy Convention. Kat’s non-fiction work has been featured in The Victorian Writer, Literary Traveler, TNT, Travel Weekly, Matador Network and Weird Fiction Review.
Kat’s video and photographic work has been seen on major news programs, The Age, Herald Sun and local newspapers. In 2012 she was a finalist in Travel Photographer of the Year, New Talent. Her work experience includes video production and digital design for non-profits and commercial businesses.
Kat holds undergraduate degrees in Media Arts and International Studies, as well as a Graduate Diploma in Creative Writing from UTS. While studying at university, she completed a year abroad at the Universite de Poitiers, France. She speaks fluent French and is well travelled, having visited 30 countries including a year living in South Korea. In her spare time she enjoys watching movies, playing music, cycling and hiking.
- Longlisted – CWA Debut Dagger Award
- Nominated – Ditmar Award for non-fiction and criticism
- Shortlisted – SQ Mag Short Story Contest – Reef 2017
- Honorable mention – Australian Horror Writers Association Shadows Awards for non-fiction criticism
- Longlisted – Davitt Awards for Australian Womens’ Crime Writing 2016
- Runner up – Mayor’s Urban Ecology Photo Competition 2014
- Winner – “Road Category” Rhino Car Hire Travel Your Way Photo Competition 2013
- Finalist – Travel Photographer of the Year New Talent Category 2012
- Winner – Sydney Morning Herald Snow It All Photography Competition 2010
- Finalist – Abercrombie & Kent Travel Photography Competition 2010
- Shortlisted – Wanderlust and Lipstick travel writing prize 2009
- Winner – Peregrine Travel Photo Competition ‘Active Adventures’ category 2007
- Winner – Newtown Art Awards, New Media 2007
- Finalist – UTS Journalism Awards, New Media 2006
- Semi-Finalist – Nescafe Big Break 2006
- Finalist – Ignite Film Festival 2004
Click here for a complete list of my publications.